HOW to Get the Heart Shaped Butt
by Ashley Black
YOU ARE NOT BOUND BY YOUR GENETICS!
The shape of your butt CAN be designed and shaped through science and art without surgery or needles. All you need is fascia changes, targeted and accurate butt exercises and a whole lotta Ashley Black-ness!
WELCOME TO YOUR NEW #HEARTBUTT!
For those of you who don’t know me very well, I have had a very long career as a fascia (connective tissue) expert in the world of rehabilitation with pro athletes, celebrities, and world influencers with 90% of my clientele being men. In the last 5 years, I developed a fascia tool which by the way, completely gets rid of cellulite (but that’s for another blog), and now my client base is 99% women. I have over half a million followers on social media and 90k in a women’s only private, free body coaching group. It’s total mayhem ladies – y’all are crazy! But I love you and I’m so excited about this blog, because whether you are 20 or 60, in great shape or totally out of shape, this blog will teach you things you have probably never heard, and empower you with the knowledge you need to intentionally change your butt!
This is the picture that started it all!
I was taking a pic of my booty because I had a spray tan with hilarious tan lines. I posted this unaltered, unfiltered pic on my private group (which is a mecca of booty pics in a closed group) and simply mentioned that anyone can attain a #HEARTBUTT and I haven’t heard the end of it since. I even devoted an entire radio show to the topic (included at the end). Every day when I check my social media… my FasciaBlasters are asking “where is our #HEARTBUTT blog?”
So … here it is! I’m gonna give you the “Girlfriend Talk”, the “Science Girl”, and of course the “how to”. We’ve also had 2 60-day #HeartButtChallenges with a $1,000 cash prize, a private session with ME and a designer bathing suit to show off the best #HEARTBUTT (click here for details).
This step by step blog is about the art and science of how to achieve the #HEARTBUTT look without surgery, lasers, or needles – regardless of your natural “genetic” shape. Just so you know, genetics don’t have as much influence as we’ve been led to believe, so don’t resign yourself to having a Square, V, or Round butt, because everyone, using science, and a little elbow grease, can have the perfect, happy heart shaped butt!
… YES YOU… can have the #HEARTBUTT everyone wants!
Even booties that seem hopeless (you know who you are with that negative self-talk and skepticism) CAN CHANGE SHAPE with the proper information and techniques. Here are a few before and after’s to help get your mind right! Get out of your own way, let go of limiting beliefs and ASHLEY-IZE your butt!
The women shown here ONLY used the FasciaBlaster®, but adding these other techniques will take your #HeartButt results to the next level!
Here are 4 steps to getting the coveted heart shaped booty which I’ll explain in detail below.
#1. Fascia Release: Use the FasciaBlaster® to release the fascia that is binding fat into strange shapes and fat pockets.
#2. Fat Lysing: Use the FasciaBlaster® to spot reduce leftover fat pockets by using the “contract technique.”
#3. Build-A-Butt: Shape and fill out the glutes by firing them properly using targeted exercises (not the exercises you’ve been told to do!).
#4. Follow Up: Everything else you need to know from spray tans to not wearing jeans that are too tight.
Step 1: Fascia Release
Use the FasciaBlaster® to release the fascia that binds fat into strange shapes.
For those of you who don’t know what the FasciaBlaster® is, you need to get aboard the train right now! Fascia is the connective tissue in your body that runs in sheets between the muscles, organs, and other structures and also runs like cobwebs throughout. Fascia also encases the muscles, only allowing them to grow as much as the fascia permits! Same goes for fat; it takes the shape of its encasing. If you haven’t been following me and you don’t know what fascia is, take a minute to watch a few videos and check out the “What is Fascia” blog.
Here’s the science behind the FasciaBlaster®!
Watch this playlist to understand fascia:
This picture is such a great representation of how severely fascial recoil can bind to the legs and glutes! This girl “uncovered” a gorgeous booty that was totally impeded by fascial distortion (if you haven’t seen how fascial recoil affects the skin, this video about cellulite gives a good visual that explains this concept).
If you haven’t figured it out yet, the FasciaBlaster® completely eradicates cellulite! But that’s for another blog. To read about the 4 types of cellulite click HERE.
Girlfriend Talk: Ladies…how INSANE is it that we didn’t know this information? This is like the holy grail of booty knowledge! Fascia release opens the door for us to choose our SHAPE! It also gives us a tool – literally – to get RID of lumps and bumps without HAVING to get super lean (unless that is part of your journey and preference).
I used to be below 12% body fat and was ripped, but now as I get older and busier, I want a little more curve and softness – but it’s my choice – and yours! Ladies, for real – I want YOU to choose your booty size … this is a VERY personal choice! This blog is going to help you “Build a Butt” – like “Build a Bear”, you can hand-select exactly what YOU want! There is no societal right or wrong, just YOU feeling good – that’s it! EMPOWERMENT and CONFIDENCE!
Science Girl: The gluteal muscles are intersected by several lines of fascia:
The Superficial Back Line
The Spiral Line
The Functional Line
The Lateral Line
And a little bit more loosely – the Deep Front Line
Remember that the fascia runs in layers and is also connected THROUGH the muscles and it can stick together at the surface or create huge lumps, bumps, and divots. The fascia can also create pockets that trap the fat into pouches, like saddlebags or love handles. This causes the decreased neural connection and can lead towards pain and dysfunction. Through fascial and muscles tension release, the body can take on its most natural and “ready to condition” state. The studies below link fascial adhesions to impaired muscle growth.
The studies below link fascial adhesions to impaired muscle growth:
Ok sisters, here’s how you do it. Please consider that not everyone is shaped the same, so if your fascia is not trapped or adhered then you may not need these techniques.
A good measure of whether or not you need to break up the fascial adhesions in an area is whether or not it hurts to use the FasciaBlaster® there; usually, bound tissue hurts. Most of the time it feels like a big “chunky area” that might break down into smaller chunks first. It may feel hard and then feel “melted” or “broken down” afterward. Some people get a result in one session and for others with more fascial recoil results may take months. It all depends on the condition and health of your fascia and how deep into the layers of fascia the adhesions are.
As you saw in the science girl section, fascia can be as deep as the bones, so you may have to FasciaBlast like crazy for a few months, or if it’s just a bit at the surface it could clear up in a couple weeks. Either way, DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED, this will work for you – it works for everyone!
As always, heat the tissue first. Here are some ways to heat the tissue:
This playlist demonstrates where to use the FasciaBlaster®:
1. Love Handles – Some of the fat that is supposed to be in the glutes can get trapped above the pelvis. Use the FasciaBlaster® to release the love handles.
We have so many great tutorial videos on people of different sizes and shapes with real-time results that I’ll also include at the end of this section.
2. What I call “High Butt” or “Square Butt” – Let me just say that some people like this look, so if you like your high butt, skip this step. This high butt is kind of the nemesis of the #HEARTBUTT because the fat that should sit in the lower heart might be trapped in the high butt. If you do this technique, sometimes this alone will really create a nice curve and reshape the butt alone, but I just want to make sure you are aware that the FasciaBlaster® really delivers and you need to be in TOTAL CONTROL and often looking in the mirror as you go, to make sure you do just the right amount.
3. Low Sides – This is where so many women have DEEP adhesions. It has to do with the demand we place on our hips without having the muscles to support what we do. Don’t worry I’ll explain how to stabilize the hips in the “Build a Butt” section.
This area will bruise the most and you will have to go layer by layer and really focus on getting deeper and deeper. If I go deep on this area of my body (in part because I have hip instability) I almost always bruise. Be sure to watch the tutorial!
4. The Glute/Hammy Tie In – This technique is all about the booty lift! Having access to where your leg meets your butt is the HEAVEN’S GATE of booty lifting. There are so many great techniques for this! You can check out our private Facebook group for user-generated content as well as these tutorials:
Here’s how to FasciaBlast your booty by yourself
Here’s another butt tutorial from a woman in our facebook group.
5. Full-body FasciaBlasting: Fascia is a single unit or system throughout the body. In order for the entire fascia system to function fully and properly it needs to be maintained. The easiest way for you to do this yourself from the safety and convenience of your own home is by using the FasciaBlaster! Because fascia is the main sensory organ, it’s essential for the mind-body connection to every muscle – including the glutes. Click here for tutorials, and read this blog for guidelines. Also, for the science geeks, here are 2 great research papers that explain the importance of full body fascial maintenance as it relates to the messages to the brain that allows for proper function, and in our case MAXIMUM RESULTS.
Keep in mind that you are supposed to RELAX while FasciaBlasting to break up fascial adhesions. If you haven’t seen the video where I explain the difference between relaxing for fascia and contracting for fat lysing, now is a good time to visit that. We are moving into the fat lysing section next. BUT… let me say this ladies…I would do 10 solid FasciaBlasting sessions with the above techniques before trying the fat lysing. What you think is FAT, might just be “fascia bound” tissue or jiggly muscle atrophy, so be patient and trust the process or you may accidentally shrink the butt fat you want to keep!
This picture was from a 45 minute FasciaBlaster® session with a personal friend of mine. In this picture, I had only done the left side love handle and high butt. You can already see the curve I carved out.
In this pic, I added the same technique to on the right. You can see that I evened it out.
In the last pic I added the low sides and the glute hammy tie in and BOOM … #HEARTBUTT.
* Keep in mind, this girl has glute muscles AND booty fat, so if you have a flatter butt, then you will have to spend some time in Step 3 and Build a Butt. Also, if you are too skinny, you may need some body fat to create this look! It’s a symphony, not a single instrument!
Step 2: Fat Lysing
Use the FasciaBlaster® to spot reduce fat pockets.
First of all ladies, I’ve been in health and fitness for 2 decades and until liposuction and cool sculpt came out, the concept of spot reducing was completely anti-science. However, with the FasciaBlaster® and contracting your muscles, you can actually “lyse” fat cells, which means to break them into little bits and excrete the fat from your body through natural processes as explained in this blog on Fat Lysing and in the videos below:
Also, If I were hearing about this for the first time, I would be doing a Scooby Doo … WHAT?????? This is really profound and powerful because you no longer have to reduce your entire body size to shape and sculpt those trouble areas! Now you can blast them away. Before you call BS on me, here is the scientific research that supports the concept of fat lysing as shown in clinical trials. It is hypothesized that increasing blood flow to the tissue being treated with the FasciaBlaster® causes an increased in lysosomal enzymes. These are the enzymes that break down or lyse cells based on the research previous links.
The FasciaBlaster® works similarly to CoolSculpt in terms of spot reducing. The FasciaBlaster® just does it faster, cheaper and more effectively.
Girlfriend Talk: Guuuuuuuuurrrrrl! Here is your opportunity to get rid of that “one spot” that we all have, where we say “I just hate my ___”! I personally love the discovery of this technique in my own body because never before had I been able to get rid of the little fat pockets just below my glutes. Whether you have a kangaroo pooch, saddlebags, bat wings, turkey neck or whatever you dislike about your body, you now have the power to change it in a relatively short amount of time with this revolutionary technique. It’s like liposuction without surgery!
Also, something I’m very passionate about is that women tend to starve themselves trying to get rid of these last little spots on their bodies. Ladies STOP THE MADNESS! You don’t have to be “LA skinny” to have a hot #HEARTBUTT!
Science Girl: Fat Lysing is really nothing new. The medical community has been doing this for years and years. Any plastic surgeon will tell you that they lyse the fat cells via chemical injections before liposuction because it gives a cleaner suck.
Another growing trend is the idea of killing off fat cells through freezing. The cells actually die, then you have to wait for them to be moved out of the body. There are also a lot of people, including me, that are selling products that have a thermogenic effect which actually breaks down fat cells. Thermogenesis is the process by which exercise reduces fat. My Blaster Oil targets the beige fat cells and is just another way to target fat naturally. I worked on the formula for over a year and I think the Blaster Oil is the perfect complement to the other fat reducing techniques I’m providing you.
All of this has existed, but no one has thought of fat lysing externally on the body WITHOUT invasive procedures by doing what the FasciaBlaster® does.
The FasciaBlaster® physically breaks down fat cells and stimulates expeditious removal. This is not merely my opinion. This is supported by study after study. If you’re a nerdy geek like me, here are some links to a few:
This study states that the materials in the blood that are being sent to the tissue have the ability to change the connective tissue.
Here is a study on Fibroblasts and the development of the connective tissue.
Anywhere you have fat, CONTRACT the muscle and FasciaBlast the area. Watch the fat lysing tutorials in the playlist:
Watch the fat lysing tutorials in the playlist:
Here are the 2 techniques to break through fascia and break up fat
Here’s how to FasciaBlast FAT & “cellulite” from your legs – the contract & relax methods
Learn how to break up fat cells in your abs
– Love Handles – To contract the love handles, lay on your side and do a side crunch and FasciaBlast as shown in the above tutorials.
– “High Butt” – (If you like your high butt, skip this step!) Get into quadra-peg position. Extend leg to contract glutes and singlehandedly blast the high part of your butt as shown in this video.
– Low Sides – Use the same technique as “High Butt” – blast the outside of the leg where the leg meets the glute muscle – just below the #HEARTBUTT on the side. OR lay on your side in the clam position.
– The Glute/Hammy Tie-In – Sit with leg bent and propped up. Press your heel down to contract the hamstring. FasciaBlast. Or lay on your back with your foot against the wall.
* DISCLAIMER: LADIES: If you don’t have actual fat in these areas, DO NOT use this technique. The FasciaBlaster® is the closest thing to a magic wand that you can get. Do a little at a time because once it’s gone, it’s gone for good!
Step 3: Build A Butt
Learn how to FIRE the glutes properly in glute-targeted exercises
Every single website that talks about “butt toning” promotes glute exercises like the squat, lunge, step up, pelvic thrust, or the Jane Fonda doggie style thing, etc. I don’t have issues with any of these exercises, but if you are doing them you will NOT get results if your glute muscles are NOT firing due to:
1. Fascia strangling them
2. Loss of access due to bad biomechanics
3. Other muscles (such as the quads) that compensate
4. Not enough nutrition or protein to build muscle
5. Improper position of the pelvis
YOU ARE COMPLETELY WASTING YOUR TIME TRYING TO BUILD A BUTT IF YOU DON’T TARGET AND ISOLATE THE GLUTE MUSCLES.
Girlfriend Talk: About 90% of the fitness professionals, models, actresses, and regular gals that I have worked with over the past 20+ years know everything there is to know about training … except when it comes to the glutes. For instance, did you know that there are actually 9 gluteal muscles? 4 on the top, 5 underneath. In addition, no anatomy book intentionally focusses on the fascia lines, which I described earlier in this blog. Fascia contributes to the contractive force of muscles, and as a society we’ve almost completely omitted it!
It’s not important that you know the names of all the muscles or fascia lines and what they do, because I’m going to simplify this science for you. The key to growing a muscle is flushing as much blood and nutrients to the muscle and increasing the activation or neuro-connection. Doing exercises like squats and lunges activate OTHER muscles, which means you aren’t even targeting the butt! The goal is to target as much activation and blood flow to the glutes so you can sculpt the booty shape you want!
Science Girl: Here is the science on how a muscle grows. The unarguably larger muscles are the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus, and Tensor Fascia Lata (TFL). These are the ones that give the butt the most shape. The underlying muscles are Piriformis, Obturator Internus, Obturator Externus, the Gemelli and the Quadratus Femoris. These are more for the stability of the hip. We don’t want to ignore them, but they are less important for the shaping of your #HEARTBUTT. I’m going to focus on the top 4 booty shaping exercises. Also, science girls, keep in mind if the fascia is restricted anywhere in the long lines that run throughout the body it can shut down the glutes. Any compensatory movement, such as tipping the pelvis, turning the hip out, or leveraging body weight can interfere with the firing of the glutes.
I’m going to focus on the top 4 booty shaping exercises. Remember: if the fascia is restricted anywhere in the long lines of structural fascia that run throughout the body, it can clamp down and choke out the glutes, prohibiting them from properly firing. Any compensatory movement, such as tipping the pelvis, turning the hip out, or leveraging body weight, can interfere with activating and firing the glutes.
Here are the links to several studies that show how fascia can contribute to gluteal atrophy.
- Functional Aspects of the Abductor Muscles of the Hip
- Hip abductor muscle volume in hip osteoarthritis and matched controls.
- Gluteal fibrosis
As I mentioned above, fascia is the main sensory organ; so in terms of the mind-body connection, you have to have full body healthy fascia to have full glute access. Simply put, you have to FasciaBlast your whole body to get the #HEARTBUTT!
HOW TO: It’s all about isolating.
Watch this playlist for the workout tutorials:
Video 1. Glute Maximus: Largest and most superficial, giving the butt shape. Attachments: Originates from the gluteal (posterior) surface of the ilium, sacrum, and coccyx. It slopes across the buttock at a 45-degree angle, then inserts into the iliotibial tract and greater trochanter of the femur.
Video 2. Gluteus Medius: Fan-shaped and lies in-between max and min. Innervation: Inferior gluteal nerve.
Video 3. Glute Minimus: Deepest and smallest of superficial glute muscles. Innervation: Superior gluteal nerve.
Video 4. Tensor Fascia Lata (TFL): functions to tighten the fascia lata, and so abducts and medially rotates the lower limb.
Perform These Exercises:
3-5x a week
10 reps (per leg)
** As a side note, if you want NO GUESSWORK in your training, you’ll learn the proper techniques and mechanics for all exercises and movement in my Inner Core Exercise DVDs (I.C.E.® Foundations DVD Kit). Below are a few samples from the series that you can incorporate, and you can purchase the full I.C.E.® DVD Kit here.
Don’t forget posture! It is so important that the pelvis stays in a neutral position as defined in this video because you will activate your glutes in natural movements such as walking.
It’s important that you actually have the ability to keep your pelvis in a neutral position while you extend your leg behind you, and in order to have this range of motion, it’s extremely important to have your hip flexors open. Here is a PNF stretching technique to open the hip flexors that you can do several times a day!
Eventually, you will need your jammed hips pulled out – watch this video for a tutorial!
It’s also super important to understand that what you’re eating affects your ability to build muscle. Diet is another blog, and if you chose to go the Build a Butt route, you will want to do the 300 calorie meal options in this blog and MINIMIZE the cardio to NOT burn the calories needed to build muscle.
At the end of the day, having your glutes work FOR you instead of against you in terms of creating a #HEARTBUTT is really a symphony of intentional glute activation, proper posture, and healthy fascia and food! Can you hear the music!?
Step 4: The Rest of the Story
Everything else you need to know from spray tans to not wearing jeans that are too tight
Aside from the quality of your fascia and all the things that we can do to develop the glutes, there are a few other factors that enhance the shape and appearance of your #HEARTBUTT such as spray tanning and wearing the right clothing.
1. Don’t jack up your fascia! Staying biomechanically fit and structurally sound is the first key to keeping your fascia healthy. Revisit the wall test technique and practice this several times a day. This video demonstrates proper body mechanics on an elliptical machine, and the no-brainer option is my I.C.E.® Foundations DVDs.
2. Don’t wear clothes that are too tight! Anytime you wear something restrictive (low rise jeans that create a muffin top, tight underwear, corsets/waist trainers or spanks, etc.), it can actually cause the fascia to create permanent dents where the clothing pulls in. Here are some examples of women whose clothes were so tight that the button actually left a dent in the lower stomach or permanent muffin top. This is more common than you think!
3. Be aware of how you sit, stand and move. The way you sit, stand, drive, walk, sleep etc. can create rolls and folds! If you have a sway back, the fascia will eventually stick in that position (watch this video for a live demo). Anytime you’re repeatedly in a position, your fascia will start to stick and tack you in that position like duct tape!
4. Tanning: A spray tan gives you a nice glow and tends to make your skin look skinnier and healthier (if you want to prance around in a thong, tanning is a great idea!). I found this interesting example from a spray tan artist who did the Kardashian’s butts.
5. Skincare: I created two products that go 100% with this process! My Blaster Oil has a thermogenic quality that burns up fat. My After Blaster Cream has a skin tightener with arnica to reduce pain and swelling. Last but not least, with tight skin the main thing that makes the skin look good is blood supply from the inside which is what the FasciaBlaster® does because the blood carries collagen and elastin to the skin cells. Hit it from the outside in, and the inside out!!
6. One of the biggest factors of healthy fascia is hydration. The fascia is filled with fluid and responds positively to hydration. I recommend drinking a gallon of water a day.
7. Nutrition, stress, and sleep also affect the body’s ability to condition and the quality of the fascia. One of my favorite radio shows was with my friend Dr. Rakowski who is amazing at explaining these concepts! Revisit this show and you will learn a lot about immediate things you can do to impact your health AND your #HEARTBUTT!
So ladies, let the butt shaping begin! I’m sure you are plenty motivated and excited about this process, but for added incentive…
Here’s the Winner of the 1st 60-day #HeartButtChallenge:
We asked our facebook group members to POST their “before” video in the FasciaBlasters group with the #HeartButtChallenge hashtag showing their current starting point and explaining their goals.
Contestants posted their 30-day check-in video showing their progress and talking about what they’ve been doing to get dat booty poppin.
The contestants posted their final 60-day #HeartButtChallenge video and picked ONE lucky winner to be featured on my Heart Butt Blog AND receive:
✓ $1,000 CA$H
✓ A FREE personal session with Ashley Black
✓ A gift pack of “live like Ashley” gifts ?
If you missed it, here’s the recording of my LIVE Billionaire Healthcare radio show episode “HEART SHAPED BUTT”!
You can also listen to the live feed + post show live Q&A here (group members only)!